Question Details
Painful Lab
by Cathy L. - May 13, 2009
Hi Steve-

I've started treating a friend's dog and am not having much luck. She is a 10 yr old SF lab.

Hx:Chronic damp heat skin dz (endocrine alopecia according to biopsies, but she has erythema, odor, etc). Also chronic progressive lameness both shoulders which acts like biciptial bursitis. She is definitley worse w/ rest and better w/ some motion, but no response to 2 difft NSAIDS.

The dog has some heat, more damp and is an earth type temperament.

I tried her frist on SMS, then Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tong, then Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang. THEN Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin + SMS. She tolerated all herbs fine, but no help on her shoulder pain.

I don't see her in person very often,as she lives several hrs away, but did examine her 5/6. She had a patchy alopecia w/ some erythema, but no itch according to mom. Some yeasty skin odor, warm feet and ears, resists palp either shoulder w/ a triceps spasm LF. T: Dusky red, no coat. P:Deep, maybe a bit wiry. She snores and is much more lame after even a short rest, quite sore in front.I think she's a bit gimpy in her rear end also, fussed a bit for hip palp.Not being trained in acupuncture, I didn't have needles w/ me, but I did try to sedate BL 40 w/ pressure; couldn't appreciate any obvious difference in her pulse.
She's never had shoulder films or a steroid inj in these shoulders.

Any help is appreciated- very sore, very sweet dog!

:)Cathy L

Replies
by naturevet
May 14, 2009
Hi Cathy,

Two things I know I would try were the dog here:

(1) A chiropractic evaluation to rule out neck fixations as a cause of lameness. It could also ensure the low back and hind limbs are carrying as much weight as possible, so that the pressure is taken off the forelimbs.

(2) Homeopathic Rhus toxicodendron, 30 C strength given twice daily, 3 to 5 pellets at a time. This homeopathic can be quite effective is so-called 'rusty gate' lamenesses, where they are much worse on rising and better with continued gentle motion.

Herbally speaking, you've certainly explored what happens if you take blood away from the area or bring it back. If there are no differences either way, this makes me think especially there might be a chiropractic issue, or that homeopathics might be a better choice.

You may not yet have a chiropractor picked out to help you, but it's worth taking the time to find one. Chiropractic is an essential part of fixing lame dogs in our practice.

About the only thing you haven't yet tried is an anti-spasmodic approach. The pulse would suggest you could get away with Bu Gan Tang. The Damp skin would suggest otherwise, but the dog appears to have been markedly tolerant of other strong tonics like DHJST, so it would probably be worth trying Bu Gan Tang as well. Start with a very low dose, to limit the development of any Damp symptoms. This formula would help ensure not only that blood flow to the periphery is adequate, but that there is a strong anti-spasmodic effect as well.

Good luck with the case!

Steve

Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply