Question Details
Prostatic Adenocarcinoma
by Michelle1 - May 14, 2009
Hi Steve,
Referral of a 7 year old neutered male poodle mix with a likely adenocarcinoma from ultrasound and cytology. he has been on piroxicam, I added urinary Support (from Kan) and started acupuncture. This week he has started to dribble urine, quite a bit of urine retention. I added Yunnan PaiYao anad Hoxsey-like formula- good choices? Others that are better? He is an anxiuos/aggressive dog- can't get alok at his tongue. chronic stifle DJD as well.
Have changed hs diet as well.

thanks for your help!
Michelle
Replies
by naturevet
May 16, 2009
One thing off the cough I can suggest is Saw Palmetto. It should resolve any urethrospasm from urethritis secondary to the mass.

From an anti-cancer perspective, you have a lot of options. If you ever use the active point approach, it will help you here in nailing down what the most appropriate treatments are. We've seen success generally with either Xiao Chai Hu Tang derivatives (especially in humans) and Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang (in dogs especially). If there are many GB points, use the former. Otherwise, I'd go with the latter as part of your protocol.

Lastly, on top of either formula, you may need a Damp Heat formula like Si Miao San or San Ren Tang. If the TB is blocked, impairing the descent of water to manufacture and release urine, San Ren Tang should help. If there is a tendency toward inflammation in the lower body in the past, think of Si Miao San.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas,

Steve
by naturevet
May 16, 2009
I meant off the cuff, not the cough. Too many threads to reply to, I guess.

S
by bannink
May 16, 2009
Steve,

Is there a reason you did not recommend modified Shao Fu Zhu Yu Tang? I would think the prostate would count for more of a lower jiao location. I usually think of SFZTY first for Bladder Carcinoma and it seems like the prostate would be similar - especially since a vast majority of prostatic carcinomas are prostatic urethral TCCs and often end up invading into the Bladder eventually. I know GXZYT has specific indications for prostatic hypertrophy in Chen and Chen. That is puzzling to me. Can you enlighten?

-Erin
by naturevet
May 16, 2009
Hi Erin,

You're quite right to think of Shao Fu Zhu Yu Tang as well. What was putting me off was the evidence of pretty strong Heat signs in the case. SFZYT is a warming formula and so might tend to aggravate them. Sometimes we can get around that by using SMS with it simultaneously, and that remains an option in this case.

As for the benefits of GXZYT in BPH, I'm not sure of the biochemical basis for it. I would agree that it is clinically effective, however. Even a component of the formula, a smaller blend of herbs known as Wu Yao Tang, is effective in BPH. That smaller formula is specific for patients with Liver Qi stagnation in the lower burner, together with a degree of Blood deficiency and stasis, and a general coldness in the lower abdomen. GXZYT adds other herbs in to moderate the heating effects of WYT, allowing the formula to be used in more overtly hot patients. These added herbs move and cool Blood, for the most part.

Have a good weekend!

Steve
by bannink
May 16, 2009
Ah! Thank you my Herbal Guru!

-E
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply